[streaming] Re: QoS features of vlc related to streaming

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Fri Apr 8 09:05:03 CEST 2005

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:55:32 +0200, Neil Miles <neil.miles at ericsson.com>
wrote:

> One other question not perhaps directly related but interesting is what
> are the plans for implementation of  'trick' features part of MPEG4-AVC?

Trickplay in general needs some work for streaming. It's something that
I hope to work on soon.

>>> 3) I have noticed some discussion about Kasenna products such media
>>> base, can vlc interwork well with this product?
>>
>> Well, thedj will certainly answer better as me. If I've understood
>> correctly, VLC should interact with some of Kasenna products. However,
>> they these tend to be highly ininteroperable, and make massive use of
>> proprietary protocols or protocol extensions.
>>
> Well I will certain question them especially about their VoD product. I
> found an archived post
> http://www.via.ecp.fr/via/ml/streaming/2004-08/msg00093.html which is
> very interesting and mentions the problems with Kasenna, does anyone
> know if these were resolved?

There was work done by DJ, Ross Finlayson and myself that resulted in
VLC being able to work well with Kasenna MediaBase servers for MPEG2
RTP and UDP streaming. Some of this would have been in vlc 0.8.1, with
complete support in vlc 0.8.2.

When we stopped working on it the remaining issues were, as far as I
recall, MPEG1 and MP3.

The MediaBase MPEG4 implementation already used SDP and didn't require
changes to work with VLC.

If you find a problem with vlc/mediabase interoperability please let
us know and we will see what can be done about it.

Dermot.