[streaming] Re: Assistance requested on multicasting

Torben Knerr ukio at gmx.de
Wed Apr 20 18:46:15 CEST 2005

Siphiwe Nelwamondo wrote:

> Good day
>
> Could somebody please help me with this problem.
>
> 1. I am struggling to play a mpeg4 stream that I multicasted using a
> VLC media player 0.8.1. I am sending the stream over Wifi 802.11b. I
> can capture the packets with ethereal on the remote side but when I
> try to start the player, it does not play the stream. I am following
> the documented instructions and not using the command window.
>
> On the server side, the output MRL is set as:
>
> Destination :
> sout:#duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,url=239.20.30.40:1234}}
>
> On the players side,under Networks tab, I selected Multidiff, UDP/RTP
> and added the address as 239.20.30.40 with port 1234.

sorry, can't help you there :(

> 2. I have also streamed unicast on RTP, but when I look at the
> captured packets, RTP does not appear under UDP, does this mean RTP is
> not supported in Ethereal or is VLC not streaming RTP.

afaik rtp is layered on top of udp, so if you use rtp, then data will be
transported over udp.
i think it is correct that ethereal says it is a rtp package, because in
fact it is not a plain udp package.

> 3. I have also tryed to install VLC on the Pocket PC. I downloaded the
> executable and the plugins to the Pocket PC as instructed in one of
> the Readme files, but when I try to run the executable, nothing
> happens, it does not run.

maybe try another nightly build. i had the same problems when i tried to
get it work on pocket pc.
hope there will be a stable release soon.
the latest working version i tried was
http://vthr.via.ecp.fr/~videolan/build/wince/vlc-wince-xscale-200504080339.zip
got mpeg1/2 streaming to work with udp/rtp, did not try to stream mpeg4
over udp/rtp. but mpeg4 over rtsp/sdp
(e.g. rtsp://server:port/foo.sdp) failed...  maybe an an issue in the
rtsp or sdp implementation of the pocket pc client? don't know...

> Your assistance in these problems would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Siphiwe

good luck,
torben