[streaming] Re: VideoLAN and DVB-C ?

Neil Miles neil.miles at ericsson.com
Mon Apr 25 17:25:43 CEST 2005

Danislav Kostov wrote:
> I've always admired open source free projects giving chance to people
> without the money and background to build such a solution themselves.
> This
> solution will delight other people... for free.
> BUT! If I intend to make profits out of this free but time consuming for
> lot
> of programmers, designers and other dedicated ... I should support the
> project with a part of the income.
> If "price is not so important" for you... you know what to do.
>
> Greetings,
> dan4o.

You make completely valid points and certainly the company I work for
does put money back into certain open source projects, even if it is not
always with pure cash.

What I am involved with is just to see if VideoLAN can be used in a pure
demo system. As I am sure you are well aware, that however good VideoLAN
is(and I am very impressed after streaming DVD's between some linux
boxes), for a Telecom grade platform much more things need to be
considered in putting together such a solution.

Of almost greater concern however, is the ongoing patent discussion in
the EU.

Cheers
/Neil