[streaming] Re: Reliable streaming format for wireless links

Matthew Geier matthew at arts.usyd.edu.au
Mon Mar 13 20:49:46 CET 2006

Niall Donegan wrote:

> The problem is that when I start to use a wireless link (2x Linksys
> WAP54G in bridge mode) there is random errors showing up in the video
> stream.

  Also note (as far as I can remember) broadcasts/multicasts are sent
out on 802.11 at the LOWEST speed the AP is configured for - or at least
the lowest speed connected clients are using, so while you might have a
54Mb base station talking to a client at 54mb, the multicast packets
could be going out a 1mb.

  Try disabling the lower speed modes in your AP. If every one is using
G try disabling the B mode altogether, as that will disable the slower
speed modes and slow clients.

  In practice I've found I can't stream a 6mb DVB sourced stream over a
802.11g connection. I'm waiting delivery of my A capable card so I can
try it over the new Trimode AP near my office in 'A' mode.