[streaming] RTSP streaming to Nokia N77 mobile phone

Eric Sellin eric at rxl1.com
Fri Sep 14 18:31:33 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I would like to use VLC to stream a .3gp file with RTSP to a Nokia N77
mobile phone. I guess I'm not the only one :)

I've compiled the latest code from vlc-trunk and I'm using the
following command-line:
  # ./vlc -vvv file.3gp --sout '#rtp{sdp=rtsp://0.0.0.0:554/file.3gp}'

Because I am behind a cable modem, I had to change httpd_ServerIP() in
src/network/httpd.c so it returns my externally-visible IP address
rather than my private IP address.

I also changed modules/stream_out/rtp.c so the "control" field of the
SDP contains "/file.3gp/trackID=%d" rather than just "/trackID=%d".
This was necessary to get the phone to send proper SETUP requests. I'm
not sure if this is a phone bug or a VLC bug.

At this stage, I can see the phone doing OPTIONS, DESCRIBE, the 2 SETUP
requests (for audio and video) and finally the PLAY request. I can then
see loads of RTP/RTCP packets flying through in Wireshark but nothing
on the phone. After 30 seconds, the phone sends a TEARDOWN request.

I don't know much about RTSP/RTP/RTCP so would like to know if anyone
else had tried this before and if they got it to work?

The .3gp file I'm using is MP4V-ES video and AMR audio if it makes any
difference. Resolution is 176x144.

Many thanks,
Eric.