[streaming] mpeg2 TS streaming - shaping delay, pcr delay, dts_delay

devendra banker devendra.banker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 15:52:28 CEST 2007

Dear all,

Warm Regards.

I am right now understanding how the vlc does the streaming of mpeg2 ES/TS
over IP. There are some things i haven't be able to make out so far and
facing some problems. I would be very thankful if any one please guide me
for the same

I understand that vlc does complete demultiplexing of TS file from
modules/demux/ts.c and then completely multiplexes from
modules/mux/mpeg/ts.c, I believe this genericness helps for any type of
input format to be streamed provided..demultiplexer module is loaded with
vlc.

I believed that mpeg-2 TS streaming must meet PCR constraints i.e if i have
a sample.ts encoded at 5 Mbps then the number of packets between every 100
ms (PCR interval) must be equivalent of  playtime of  100 ms  at that time.
How does VLC TSSchedule calculates the the packets and the intervals/time
instance of sending the packets.
Does VLC do anything special to do streaming of MPEG2 TS packets as opposed
to other type of streaming (MP4 streaming for example). like shaping delay,
pcr delay, etc.

Some more specific questions :
what is shaping delay,pcr delay and dts_delay means??
how are they decided ? why is typical value of shaping delay is 200ms???
what impact it has on the streaming ?
Does VLC streams TS stream picture by picture??

Thank you very much for the assistance..

Devendra.