[Translators] Translation errors for subtitle files

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed May 12 22:17:39 CEST 2010

	Hello,

VLC 1.1.0 includes a very special translated string "CP1252". This is not
shown to the user. Instead, VLC tries to use it as the default character
encoding for subtitle files.

If it is not translated correctly, subtitle file will be interpreted as
Western European Latin alphabet text. This will show mojibake, in other words
complete non-sense if the subtitles are not from a Western European language.

If in doubt, please ask and we will try to clarify what the correct
translation is for your specific language. As a general rule, the value
depends on your alphabet/script. For Latin alphabet, it depends on accentuated
characters.

I think the most common values are as follow. However, I do not speak any non-
Latin language, so it is possible that I am wrong:

"BIG5"		Chinese Traditional, used on Taiwan island
"BIG5-HKSCS"	Chinese Traditional, used in Hong-Kong (and Macau??)
"CP949"		Korean (or maybe "EUC-KR"??)

"CP1250"		Latin for Slavic languages
"CP1251"		Cyrillic
"CP1252"		Latin for western European languages
"CP1253"		Hellenic
"CP1254"		Latin for Turkish
"ISO-8858-8"	Jewish (or maybe "CP1255" ??)
"CP1256"		Arabic
"CP1257"		Latin for Baltic countries (or maybe "CP1251" ??)
"CP1258"		Latin for Vietnamese

"GP18030"	Chinese Simplified, used on mainland and in Singapore
"PT154"		Kazahk (??)
"SHIFT-JIS"	Japanese
"TIS-620"	Thai

I know some entries are missing, for instance Indian scripts, because I have
absolutely no clue about them.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/