[Translators] Translation errors for subtitle files

Cristian Secară orice at secarica.ro
Wed May 12 22:58:13 CEST 2010

On Wed, 12 May 2010 23:17:39 +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> VLC 1.1.0 includes a very special translated string "CP1252". This is
> not shown to the user. Instead, VLC tries to use it as the default
> character encoding for subtitle files.
>
> If it is not translated correctly, subtitle file will be interpreted
> as Western European Latin alphabet text. This will show mojibake, in
> other words complete non-sense if the subtitles are not from a
> Western European language.
>
> If in doubt, please ask and we will try to clarify what the correct
> translation is for your specific language.

For my language (Romanian, which is non-slavic) the Windows codepage is
1250.

But I don't understand one thing: the default subtitles codepage should
be in accordance with the system locales, not from the choosed UI
language. For example, many romanian users change the VLC UI language
to English right after VLC install (this is a general tendency, not VLC
specific), but the subtitles are always in Romanian.

Hm ?

Cristi

--
Cristian Secară