[Translators] Transifex

Christoph Miebach christoph.miebach at web.de
Tue Mar 13 19:03:48 CET 2012

Hello!

Am 13.03.2012 17:25, schrieb Oleksandr Natalenko:
> it's better to make ONE OFFICIAL VLC Transifex account and force
> translators to use it than to make two unofficial and disperse our
> forces on them.

I don't know the other project, but the pot file used was last updated 9
month ago.

What I can say is: Yaron's project has a recent version of the pot file
with daily updates from vlc-2.0.git

I am willing to add additional files I missed so far (i.e. the website
pot is there, too). I will answer request for new teams.

However, not everything is great when using transifex:
Yaron (or me) would have to decide who will be allowed to modify the
translations (becomes a team manager/translator/...). For me a solution
would be to only accept current translators/maintainers and make the
managers for their own language, so they can decide themselves if they
accept new members.

Porting the state of the transifex version into a new vlc release does
not work properly. The header will be modified in transifex and previous
data (i.e. former translators) will be lost. So you will have to restore
the header before sending to vlc.

There is no fuzzy, or unused/old translated strings in transifex, so by
updating the files with a new pot file, this is lost.

> Using Transifex for official localizations would be nice.

If you want to colaborate with a translating team and are willing to
take that exta work (backup the po file to be protected against stupid
co-translators, change the header before sending your translation to
vlc) you are invited to join.
https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/vlc-trans/

It's quite comfortable to check the status of you own translation with
percentages online and useful if you are working on the same translation
with more than one translator.

Regards

Christoph