[Translators] [... VLC for Android (translation)]

Christoph Miebach christoph.miebach at web.de
Sun Oct 14 21:45:47 CEST 2012

Hello!

On 14.10.2012 21:21, Edward Wang wrote:
> On 12-10-14 03:16 PM, Christophe Mutricy <xtophe at chewa.net> wrote:
>> I would like to know about the android port' translation. How to
>> >translate it? Is there any git link or pot file for it? Is that true
>> >that this specific translation may be done only on transifex?
>> >
>> >Thanx,
>> >
>> >VLC pt_BR translator

> You can obtain the file to translate VLC-Android here:
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc-ports/android.git;a=blob_plain;f=vlc-android/res/values/strings.xml
>

> Lines containing translatable="false" are not translatable and should be
> removed from your translated file.

I'll add my point of view: This ^^ is working and it works completely
without having to use transifex.
Maybe some users can provide feedback here. At least the Estonian
translation was done differently before.

Some Cons of transifex for the android translation:

-there is no working translatable=false detection yet, so you might
translate some messages that will be deleted from the translation. If
you want to avoid that, you need to check the original strings.xml

-transifex account required.

-"spam" of users wanting to join your team, although this might be a pro
as well. vlc is rather popular on transifex, too.

-careless or evil team members could harm your translation

Pros:

-string updates (similar to pot file updates) show up automatically

-some comfort functionality: percentage translated, team management

-updating can be done anytime without having me (or someone else) to
interact. I only have to grab all translations before each release.

A pt_BR specific note:
There is a 100% android version on transifex from a new volunteer. I
pointed him to you before adding him to the team, so I can reject the
translation, if you want to do it yourself or something like that. Maybe
you want to check it yourself:

https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/vlc-trans/language/pt_BR/

Or, if that only works with an account, just ping me and I will email
the file.

Regards

Christoph