[Translators] VLC on iOS

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 00:56:30 CEST 2013

Hello Michael,

On 28.07.2013, at 23:52, Michael Bauer <fios at akerbeltz.org> wrote:

> Question - this may be because VLC on iOS is only a recent things but I asked a friend to check the language issue on his iPhone. He says his normal iPhone locale is Catalan, but that brings up VLC in English
This is expected, since Catalan is not supported by the current release of VLC for iOS. We will add it in the next version though.

> but if he switches his locale to French, it comes up in English.
This is a bit weird. Are you sure that he switched his system language settings to French (note that there are 2 settings, on for the Region and one for the actual language)? I've seen VLC for iOS running in French on device with French language settings quite nicely.

> Did him and me simple miss a manual language selection menu item (in which case, what's the path?) or is there none?
I guess so. It's in Settings -> General -> ..

> Or does VLC for iOS only bundle a small number of languages?
Indeed. So far, the public release supports English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Turkish, Ukrainian and Vietnamese only.

> If so, shouldn't there be a way of grabbing extra langpacks and selecting them?
No, because this isn't feasible due to the way apps are constructed on iOS. However, we will add support for more languages as soon as they become available from our translators. As such, the next version will add Marathi, Catalan and Galician.

Best regards,

Felix