[Translators] Regression in the Mac menu?

Joan Montané jmontane at softcatala.cat
Sun Nov 10 13:07:30 CET 2013

2013/11/10 Michael Bauer <fios at akerbeltz.org>

> In the name of all underpriviledged languages and users who like to mix
> and match their UI languages, thankyouthankyouthankyou Christoph!!!

My thanks go for Christoph too, :)

Catalan (ca ISO code) is available in main platforrms (Mac OS, Windows,
Linux, Android, iOS and Firefox OS). But some users prefeer set Spanish as
OS language and set apps in Catalan. Why? Because fallback language is
allways English. So, setting Spanish as OS language and Catalan by app,
they get a 3 language level (Catalan, Spanish, English). Of course, desktop
OS's allow to set language preferences (Catalan, Spanish, English), but
mobile OS's don't allow it. Well, we have discovered iOS7 allows full
language preference, but it's another story.

Other case is for Catalan (Valencian), ca-valencia  or ca-ES-valencia BCP47
code.Only Debian, derived distros, and Windows 8 and upper support
Valencian as OS language/locale. So, it's not available in OSX, iOS neither
Android. Currently we haven't any option to show VLC menus in Valencian for
OSX, iOS neiher Android, :(((

A language selection menu should be available in **all** platforms. To
provide acces for languages not supported by OS, and to allow users
customize their experience with VLC. Such selection menu doesn't hurt and
It's the only option for minorized languagues.

Best regards,

Joan Montané