[Translators] Possibility to have "realtime" updated .pot file for VLC development version (desktop)?

Thomas De Rocker thomasderocker at outlook.com
Thu Dec 3 20:46:19 CET 2020

Hello

I have a question about the possibility to translate the VLC (desktop) development version in realtime. Right now, the VLC 3.0 .pot file hasn't been updated in quite some time. I fear that when the .pot file for 4.0 will be generated, translators will have lots of work at once. We also can't test translations because we need an updated .pot to be able to generate them.

In Audacity for example, the same question was asked because some translators like to work in a more continuous way, independent of string freezes. One of the Italian translators, Michele Locati, created a GitHub project that automatically updates the Audacity source .pot every day. He used GitHub actions to automate this (see attached pdf for more information if you're interested). Transifex imports that file, enabling very fast translation updates.

In short:

  *   can the vlc development .pot be updated more frequently (weekly, monthly)? Could this be automated?
  *   can the Transifex project add an extra resource file (vlc development .pot, additional to the current vlc 3.0 maintenance .pot)?

Thanks in advance!

Thomas De Rocker - Dutch translator