Guidelines for 0.3 release

Henri Fallon henri at videolan.org
Fri Apr 6 18:25:40 CEST 2001

Intro
~~~~~
Here are the guidelines issued by the vlc team for the future releases
of the vlc :

Tasks marked '0.3' are to be accomplished for 0.3
tasks marked '0.4' ...
tasks marked '?' are not important and should be considered optional for
the time being.

Tasked marked '0.3' may be :
- critical in which case the release should be delayed if they are not
  acheived.
- important in which case there may be a solution to do without it
- improbable : we'd like them to be done, but we think we won't have
  time to do it.

Dates :
~~~~~~~
- Code freeze : 29 apr 2001
- 0.3 release : 7 may 2001

we'd then like to release 0.4 by the end of june.

Features :
~~~~~~~~~~
  DVD :
    title : no known serious bugs
    deadline : 0.3
    gravity : important. If some very nasty bugs still remain, we'll
              have to do with it.
    worked-on : stef

    title : multi-angle multi-language support
    description : some dvd have all the languages stored in the same
		  place. The ifo information has to be read to know
		  how to separate them.
    deadline : 0.3
    gravity : critical
    worked-on : stef

    title : better color handling for subtitles
    deadline : 0.3
    gravity : important
    worked-on : stef & sam

    title : core DVD menus support
    deadline : 0.4

  AUDIO :
    title : new working ac3 decoder
    deadline : 0.3
    gravity : critical
    worked-on : reno

    title : fix the synchro bug
    deadline : 0.3
    gravity : critical
    worked-on : reno & sam

    title : ac3 hardware support
    deadline : 0.3
    gravity : important. Still, we can do without it.
    worked-on : stef

  VIDEO :
    title : new video output system
    description : the new vout should support subtitles while working
                  with hard YUV, should self-adapt to the image size
		  and not crash when changing stream.
    deadline : 0.3
    gravity : critical
    worked-on : sam

    title : Xvideo vout
    deadline : 0.3
    gravity : critical
    worked on : Shane Harper & sam

    title : better 24bpp yuv support
    deadline : 0.3
    gravity : important. We can still go back to 16bpp if this is not
              done yet.
    worked-on : ?

    title : MGA YUV support
    deadline : 0.4

    title : DVD menus aware vout
    deadline : optional

  INPUT :
    title : support for non-system mpeg streams
    deadline : 0.3
    gravity : improbable
    worked-on : alexis

    title : language and subtitles selection in network input
    deadline : 0.3
    gravity : critical
    worked-on : henri

    title : server/client synchronisation
    deadline : 0.3
    description : the client decodes following his own clock. So
                  does the server send his packets. If both clocks are
		  not exactly the same frequency, the input stack may
		  become full or empty from time to time
    gravity : important
    worked-on : henri

    title : Misc info between vlc and vls
    deadline : 0.3
    description : vls should send misc TS packets to let us know what
                  are the descriptions of the pid inside the stream. It
		  can be seem as a network ifo.
    gravity : improbable
    worked-on : henri for the vlc part.

    title : receive program information from vls or vlcs
    deadline : 0.4

    title : new packet allocator
    deadline : 0.3
    gravity : important
    worked-on : asmax

  BUILDS :
    title : vlc should work on Linux, BeOS, BSD, Solaris, MacOS X
    deadline : 0.3
    gravity : critical
    worked-on : sam and each contributer

    title : built-in modules
    deadline : 0.3
    gravity : critical
    worked-on : sam

    title : decoders as plugins
    deadline : 0.4

  INTERFACE :
    title : better playlist support
    deadline : 0.4

    title : preferences handling
    deadline : 0.4

    title : cosmetics
    description : spashscreen, icon, beautiful font, use of OSD to
                  overwrite the action being done.

    title : IR support ( the feature that kicks one's ass )
    deadline : optional

  NEW FEATURES :
    title : mp3 support
    deadline : 0.4

    title : avi support
    deadline : 0.4

    title : vout in intf window
    deadline : 0.4

    title : windows port
    deadline : 0.4

    title : RTP support
    deadline : optional

Code cleaning :
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Each developper should track old dirty and useless traces of 0.2 and
    remove them.

    The deprecated dumpbits and getbits macro should disappear.

Documentation :
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    title : Write end-user documentation
    deadline : 0.3
    gravity : critical
    worked-on : ?

    title : write a developper documentation
    deadline : 0.3
    gravity : improbable. Code is commented, right ? :=)
    worked-on : ?

The todo list is going to be updated tomorrow.
Have a nice day :)

--
henri