SDL audio plugin segfault

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Sat Apr 28 12:04:45 CEST 2001

I've noticed that the SDL audio plugin is crashing the VLC on Linux (I'm
using Debian unstable).

If you enable the sdl audio output (--aout sdl) everything is working until
you try to quit the VLC. Instead of exiting normally, you will exit with a
segfault.
The strange thing is that if you try to run the VLC with GDB, the SDL audio
plugin will crash everything right at the beginning.

The problem doesn't seem to be related to the SDL plugin itself because the
crash (when run with GDB) will happen in the aout_Probe() function and
specifically when it calls SDL_CloseAudio().

For some reason, when you run the VLC without GDB the crash will happen
only the second time SDL_CloseAudio() is called, that is when you try to
exit the VLC.

It seems to me that the problem is related to the SDL library... (I don't
see any other explanation).

Does anybody already noticed this problem? Is it specific to Linux, or
Debian unstable ?
Anybody has an idea of what's going on ?

Ah yeah, one last strange thing: the VLC win32 version doesn't have this
problem at all... except when you run it under Linux with Wine. (????)

Regards,

Gildas Bazin