Mac OS X

Florian G. Pflug fgp at phlo.org
Sat Aug 4 05:28:34 CEST 2001

Hi

I ported the macosx output plugin to use CGDirectDisplay. It's somewhat
faster then the SDL output, and also faster than the "old" macosx output,
but on my g3/350 is _far_ from being fluent.

Is there a possibility to find out what the performace bottleneck is
exactly? Could be dvd-decoding (none of the modules like idct are optimized
for g3), or yuv->rgb conversion, or writing the output into video memory.

If I know what the biggest bottleneck is, maybe I can find a way to
accelerate things...

If anyone is interested in what I got until know, I can mail a patch - but
its more a prove-of-concept until now. Output is always full screen (don't
know if CGDirectDisplay will draw into a window. I guess so, but fear it
will be heavy Carbon programming...), and there is now way to about vlc
other then loggin in via ssh, and killing it.

greetings, Florian Pflug