SDL on Mac OS X

Florian G. Pflug fgp at phlo.org
Sat Jul 28 03:11:19 CEST 2001

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 11:46:55PM +0200, Samuel Hocevar wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2001, Florian G. Pflug wrote:
>
> > I wondered if using the sdl on mac os x would help - I tried compiling vlc
> > with sdl on mac os x, but I have not gotten it to work yet (just getting bus
> > errors and segfaults).
> >
> > Is the sdl-output-plugin in vlc highly linux specific, or is there a chance
> > to use the sdl on mac os x too?
>
>    There isn't supposed to be any Linuxism at all in the SDL plugin
> code. It works under FreeBSD and even under Windows. However I don't
> think it would help that much. What is really needed to speed up display
> is overlay, and SDL doesn't support it yet (neither does current OSX,
> but I'm not sure about this).

Do you mean SDL doesn't support Overlay at all, or just under OSX?
I guess you mean just under OSX...

Quicktime runs under OSX, so there should be a possibility to display videos
using some kind of acceleration.

>    I believe overlay support will be available in 10.1 since Apple now
> has a DVD player. More important would probably be accelerated (Altivec)
> IDCT routines. Same for motion compensation. Also, encrypted DVD support
> would definitely be cool, I think it's the most important thing we need
> to release a somewhat working player before Apple. Last time I had a
> look at our encrypted DVD driver, I was stuck and didn't know what to
> do, but Eujenio might have some news.
Well, I can't do anything about the altivec support, since
	.) my g3 doesn't support altivec
	.) my assembler skills are very poor (never did any powerpc assembler)

But I will look into the kernel module (if I understand the io-kit finally)

greetings, Florian Pflug