SDL on Mac OS X

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Fri Jul 27 23:46:55 CEST 2001

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001, Florian G. Pflug wrote:

> I wondered if using the sdl on mac os x would help - I tried compiling vlc
> with sdl on mac os x, but I have not gotten it to work yet (just getting bus
> errors and segfaults).
>
> Is the sdl-output-plugin in vlc highly linux specific, or is there a chance
> to use the sdl on mac os x too?

   There isn't supposed to be any Linuxism at all in the SDL plugin
code. It works under FreeBSD and even under Windows. However I don't
think it would help that much. What is really needed to speed up display
is overlay, and SDL doesn't support it yet (neither does current OSX,
but I'm not sure about this).

   I believe overlay support will be available in 10.1 since Apple now
has a DVD player. More important would probably be accelerated (Altivec)
IDCT routines. Same for motion compensation. Also, encrypted DVD support
would definitely be cool, I think it's the most important thing we need
to release a somewhat working player before Apple. Last time I had a
look at our encrypted DVD driver, I was stuck and didn't know what to
do, but Eujenio might have some news.

Regards,
--
Sam.