Patch for the DirectX plugin

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Tue Jun 12 08:01:20 CEST 2001

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001, Gildas Bazin wrote:

> If it's a problem with the latency to launch the video output, I suppose it
> could be solved by making sure that the video output and audio output are
> ready before outputting anything (mutex or semaphore).

   The problem is that you don't know which output to launch before
you have started the decoder. For instance, the AC3 spdif audio output
should be spawned if we have an AC3 stream, but not if we have an MPEG
audio stream. And there will eventually be the same issues for video
outputs.

   Another solution would be to pause the input and the decoders until
the outputs are ready, but this would be impossible during an audio
track change during playback. I like this idea better though.

   Then we could also pre-parse the stream and spawn the appropriate
outputs, but we would get the same problem with audio track changes.

   So, well, the problem isn't easy. Any design ideas are definitely
welcome.

--
Sam.