Patch for the DirectX plugin

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Wed Jun 13 02:10:06 CEST 2001

On Tuesday 12 June 2001 07:01, Samuel Hocevar wrote:

>    The problem is that you don't know which output to launch before
> you have started the decoder. For instance, the AC3 spdif audio output
> should be spawned if we have an AC3 stream, but not if we have an MPEG
> audio stream. And there will eventually be the same issues for video
> outputs.
>
>    Another solution would be to pause the input and the decoders until
> the outputs are ready, but this would be impossible during an audio
> track change during playback. I like this idea better though.
>
>    Then we could also pre-parse the stream and spawn the appropriate
> outputs, but we would get the same problem with audio track changes.
>
>    So, well, the problem isn't easy. Any design ideas are definitely
> welcome.

Could it be possible to keep the already spawned outputs as long as we don't
know what kind of data we have in the new stream.
That way we won't introduce any delays if the outputs are already loaded and
don't need to be spawned.
And if we need to respawn a new output then we would use a synchronisation
mechanism to be sure that all the needed outputs are ready before decoding
anything (and thus introduce a delay for the end-user).
It looks like a good compromise to me (although I don't know if it's possible
or easy enough to do).

--
Gildas