MacOS X/Darwin port status

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Sat Mar 17 02:32:34 CET 2001

I have committed tonight the first patches for the MacOS X port of
vlc. Our planning for this port is :

1. Have vlc compile & run with dummy outputs - DONE
2. Have x11 plugin work - FAILED [A]
    or alternatively have sdl plugin work - FAILED [B]
3. Write a native audio output plugin - IN PROGRESS [C]
4. Port DeCSS-like features - IN PROGRESS [D]
5. Write a native video output plugin - TODO
6. Write a native aqua interface - TODO
7. Write Altivec optimizations - PLANNED [E]

The latest cvs should compile flawlessly under MacOS X (untested
under Darwin), provided you have installed the dl library :
<http://fink.sourceforge.net/files/dlcompat-20010123.tar.gz>

vlc can then play .mpg or unencrypted .vob files. There is no audio
support in this release, no specific interface, and video support is
waaaaay too slow. We welcome all sorts of contributions (API
information, code contribution...).

* Detailed comments :

[A] X11 plugin compiles, but Xshm doesn't work (Bad request =>
segfault), so we disabled it. The performance is *VERY*
disappointing, both XFree 4.0.2 and Tenon XTools seem to be
physically unable of displaying 1 fps at normal size.

[B] SDL plugin compiles but doesn't link because a symbol seems to be
defined in both vlc and Carbon library. I haven't searched a lot, SDL
on MacOS X seems to be pretty immature and still relies on the Carbon
layer.

Since no temporary hack can offer satisfying video output playback,
we'll have to wait for #5.

[C] Colin Delacroix <colin at zoy.org> is working on it. Any information
would be greatly appreciated, since Apple docs are shamefully shallow.

[D] Samuel Hocevar <sam at via.ecp.fr> is working on it, any information
would be greatly appreciated.

[E] I'll be working on that soon.

--