[RFC] QA & Branching

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Sat Nov 24 15:46:39 CET 2001

Dear friends,

Releasing a new version of VLC is now a mess ; it imposes several
weeks of bug hunting during which implementing new features is
dangerous. 0.2.91 has shown that despite all the time we invested to
release it, we didn't have the right methods. 0.2.91 suffers major
stability problems.

Besides, sam will (hopefully) soon check in a new video output which
might break a lot of things for several weeks.

For these reasons sam and I would like to suggest an enhanced
development method (largerly inspired by those in use in the open
source community). First, we shall immediately create a new stable
0.2.92_BRANCH. This branch shall be intensively debugged, helped by a
series of pre-releases (0.2.92-pre1, 0.2.92-pre2...). New features
won't be added to this branch.

The main trunk remains the branch for experimental developments, and
will, in time, become 0.3.0 and over. It will be branched every time
a new stable release is planned (0.2.92, 0.2.93, etc.).

We think this scheme would simplify the development (no longer "stop
adding new features, we're in release mode !") and make bug hunting
more reliable (the stable branch won't change a lot).

Comments, etc.

[FYI this is inspired by what the PHP team has been forced to do in
the 4.0.x releases]

--
Christophe Massiot.