One more IP Multicast related modification

Mathias Kretschmer mathias at research.att.com
Wed Oct 3 04:34:25 CEST 2001

Christophe Massiot wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 02, 2001, Mathias Kretschmer wrote:
>
> > I've attached a patch for input.c and would appreciate if it would make
> > it into the CVS tree.
>
> I have just checked it in.

Thanks!

> Video streaming is a strong asset of VLC, and we're currently using it
> on our network.
>
> > Issues I'm interested in include:
> >
> >   - Loss Resilience
>
> Hmmm what else do you want to do ?

I haven't looked into vlc's mepg code, so I don't now what exactly it
does when it looses one or more TS frames.  It just seems to me that
the hardware decoder we're working with has a better error mitigation
scheme,
although it is far from being perfect.

A good mitigation scheme and FEC are essential to set up a scalable
distribution system over a (somewhat) lossy network. That's my focus.

> >   - RTP compliance (or a sequence number at the beginning of each UDP
> > packet)
>
> That would be great ! No one AFAIK is working on this.

I have a lot of code to handle audio (MPEG2/4 AAC). Much of it could be
re-used to carry MPEG2 Transport. I'm right now trying to convince my
boss
to make that stuff OpenSource.

> >   - Encryption support for video conferences, etc.
>
> It would be great, too. I heard some members of the VideoLAN team *might*
> work on this in the future, but it's too soon to tell.

Same as above. I have some code but need to find a way to make it public
domain.

I mainly wanted to get a feeling for what people's interests are.
If I can find a decent DivX codec I might go for that since I'm really
impressed
with the video quality at around 2Mbps.

Cheers,

Mathias