Decoder modularization - step 1

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Wed Oct 17 00:21:04 CEST 2001

À (At) 1:13 +0200 16/10/01, Henri Fallon écrivait (wrote) :

>On my way for a total wor^H^H^H module domination, I already have
>switched the mpeg audio, ac3_spdif and lpcm decoders to modules.
>
>you can find a tar.gz here :
>http://www.via.ecp.fr/~henri/videolan/vlc-henri-20011015-02.tar.gz

As I said earlier, I think what you did is too complicated. What I
would basically do in a decoder plug-in, is 2 (TWO) symbols :

dec_Probe( es_descriptor_t * );
dec_CreateThread( decoder_config_t *, decoder_fifo_t * );

or something along these lines. dec_CreateThread is almost word for
word our current vpar_CreateThread and friends, it spawnes the
thread, allocates the data structures, etc. dec_Probe() is _the_ new
piece of code to write, it replaces input_dec.c's kludge, and
basically looks at p_es->i_type (and optionally CPU capabilities) to
give a score.

I don't think we need anything more complicated, or another layer of
abstraction. Let the decoders live their own life, and the sunshine
in.

--
Christophe Massiot.