Mac OS 10.1 Download - Thanks!

Florian G. Pflug fgp at phlo.org
Sun Sep 30 16:50:42 CEST 2001

On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 11:13:57PM -0400, Eugenio Jarosiewicz wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Florian G. Pflug wrote:
>
> > BTW: The divx-plugin which ran quite slow (approx. as fast as vlc) on 10.0.4
> > runs perfektly on 10.1 - so getting vlc to run at 20-25 fps on my g3/350 now
> > seems quite doable to me ;-)
>
> Hmm, really?  Funny, perhaps because I didn't run the divc plugin on
> 10.0.4 I didn't notice the speed difference going to 10.1.  Alas, when
> I compiled vlc with your changes I couldn't visually tell a
> difference (not saying there wasn't).  Well, do you think we should
> commit this into the cvs?  We finally now have working altivec idct
> and motion compensation in the cvs ; unfortunately that doesn't help
> all the g3 owners like us (I have a 350 also;-).
I believe my changes to macos_vout to be too immature to commit at the moment
to commit them. I'm working on this at the moment, which will likley result
in a new macosx plugin for video & interface.

> Also, I'm wondering if we could figure out how to use the DVD
> framework?  (in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks) .  It looks like
> they are tied into / use services of CoreGraphics & IOKit directly.
If your g3 has a DVD-Drive, i guess you also have an ati-card (rage 128)
with this DVD-Addon-Module.

If you search the IORegistryExplorer, you find some indices that there is
some kernel-support for this addon-board in 10.1 (e.g. there is a key/value
pair "IODVDBundleName => ATIRage128DVDDriver)

I guess this could be the kernel-support for the DVD-Framework
I wonder if one could use this support easily - since most people owning a
g3 with dvd-drive will likley also have this addon-board.

greetings, Florian Pflug