[ANN] VideoLAN Client 0.3.0
sam at zoy.org
Sat Apr 6 08:43:05 CEST 2002
After almost four months of hard work, the VideoLAN team is happy to
deliver version 0.3.0 of vlc, the VideoLAN Client. This release fixes an
amazing number of bugs and brings a lot of new features as well.
Here is an overview of the new features:
* Configuration file support.
* Configuration interface under Gtk/GNOME and Win32.
* New input layer, featuring:
- file format autodetection
- modular network stack
- IPv6 support
* New video output engine, featuring:
- direct to buffer decoding
- speed increases up to 40%
- enhanced subpicture rendering
- support for various colorspace transformations (I420, YV12, YUY2,
Y211, UYVY, YUYV and YVYU) with MMX versions
* The audio output layer was fixed for most soundcards, and the ALSA
plugins now has support for S/PDIF.
* Accelerated AltiVec modules.
* i18n support (french, japanese, russian, netherlands, norwegian).
Some port-specific features were added:
* VCD support under MacOS X
* multicast support under Win32
* network support under BeOS
There are also a bunch of new plugins:
* interface plugins: lirc infrared control, file logger, Win32 interface.
* input plugin: satellite driver for WinTV Nova cards.
* decoder plugins: libmad MPEG decoder, liba52 AC3 decoder.
* video output plugins: MGA kernel driver, ASCII art.
* video filters: deinterlacing, rotation, distort, image wall.
* audio output plugins: aRts daemon, Win32 waveOut.
The full changelog for this version is more than 900 lines long. You
can have a look at it here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/changelog.html
You can download vlc 0.3.0 via HTTP or FTP :
Tarballs are available, as well as x86 Debian, RPM, Windows and BeOS
packages. Binary builds for architectures and distributions not yet
available are welcome and can be uploaded to our incoming directory:
For the vlc team,
Samuel Hocevar <sam at zoy.org> <http://sam.zoy.org/>
free DVD and MPEG support for Linux, Unix, Windows, BeOS and QNX:
This is the vlc-devel mailing-list, see http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
To unsubscribe, please read http://www.videolan.org/lists.html
If you are in trouble, please contact <postmaster at videolan.org>
More information about the vlc-devel