BeOS and nVidia

Tony Castley tony at castley.net
Mon Apr 8 19:46:17 CEST 2002

If you could let me know when you have it working and checked in, I
will be very pleased.
Will your fix work for all platforms (eg Win32 and BeOS)

Thanks
Tony Castley

> On Mon, 08 Apr 2002 "Tony Castley" <tony at castley.net> wrote:
> >
> >This is a known BeOS problem.  I am looking into the problem now.
> >It appears that the BeOS nVidia driver has some restrictions on the
> >usage of overlays and I need to figure out how to handle them.
> >
> >Tony
> >
> >> No idea if the vlc team knows about this, but with any nVidia card
> >> I've
> >> tried with 0.3.0 (and tonight's CVS) does not work properly with
> >> vlc's
> >> overlay.  I get diagonal lines across my screen that completely
> >> distort
> >> the video.  Others have this problem as well.  AFAIK this only
> >> happens
> >> under BeOS, as overlay under Linux seems to work fine with my
> > > card.
> >>
> >> Sorry if this has been reported already.
> >>
> >> Andrew Gildehaus
> >>

> I've got a similar problem on Win32, so I don't think it is a BeOS
> problem ;-)
>
> As you said, the graphics card imposes certain restrictions on the
> picture buffers. To be more specific, the picture buffers you create
have a stride (or pitch) which is different from their width.

> It shouldn't be a problem except that the mpeg video decoder
> currently expects the width to be equal to the stride. I'm in the
process of fixing this, I've almost finished except that I've got a
segfault during the motion compensation step of B pictures, so I still
need to fix this.

> Linux doesn't show this problem because Xv picture buffers are always
> created in system memory and then transfered by X itself to the video
memory. As they are created in system memory the video hardware
restrictions usually don't apply.