the big modules changes

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Thu Aug 1 11:10:37 CEST 2002

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002, Christophe Massiot wrote:

> . The place of vcd, dvd, dvdread and dvdplay isn't easy to find :
> they're both access and demux plug-ins.

   Right. I didn't know where to put it so I arbitrarily decided that
the access part of the plugin was prevalent. Would you rather have them
in demux? Or in another toplevel directory?

> . I would avoid the third level of directory.  Having
> vlc/plugins/audio/output/dsp is a pain in the ass, and I hate
> programs with 1000 subdirectories. vlc/plugins/audio_output/dsp is a
> bit better and doesn't add too much complexity. Codec is even worse,
> I'd prefer vlc/plugins/codec/mpeg_adec, vlc/plugins/codec/mad. There
> is no need to put mad in an "mpeg"/"audio" subdirectory, we don't
> have that many codecs.

   Ok, this makes sense.

> . Maybe it isn't necessary to move some of the plug-ins right now ?

   My idea was to have a "modules" directory instead of "plugins", so
that we'd be sure to have a fresh new tree. But we could delay the
removal of the plugins directory.

> For instance the audio plug-ins will change a lot in the very near
> future and I can handle it. And I'm in favour of completely removing
> ac3_adec from the CVS, now that a52dec is thread-safe, is faster,
> crashes less, and is much more understandable.

   Well, as discussed on IRC, I agree that a52 is far better than our
ac3_adec but I'd like to keep ac3_adec anyway because it's always
interesting to have two modules doing the same thing. We could set its
priority to 0 and add a big "DEPRECATED" note in its description, but
I'd like to continue maintaining it.

> Anyway, I suggest that before checking in the whole bazunga, you post
> the result of find plugins -type d, so that we can comment before any
> harm is done.

   How about this:

     access/dvd
     access/dvdplay
     access/dvdread
     access/satellite
     access/vcd
     arch/beos
     arch/directx
     arch/macosx
     arch/qnx
     arch/sdl
     arch/win32
     audio_output/alsa
     audio_output/arts
     audio_output/dsp
     audio_output/esd
     audio_output/waveout
     codec/a52
     codec/ac3dec
     codec/ac3dec/downmix
     codec/ac3dec/imdct
     codec/cinepak
     codec/ffmpeg
     codec/lpcm
     codec/mad
     codec/mad/docs
     codec/mpeg_audio
     codec/mpeg_video
     codec/mpeg_video/idct
     codec/mpeg_video/motion
     codec/ogg
     codec/spdif
     codec/spudec
     control/lirc
     control/rc
     demux/a52
     demux/avi
     demux/mp4
     demux/mpeg
     interface/familiar
     interface/gtk
     interface/kde
     interface/ncurses
     interface/qt
     misc/dummy
     misc/logger
     misc/memcpy
     misc/network
     misc/null
     video_output/aa
     video_output/fb
     video_output/ggi
     video_output/glide
     video_output/mga
     video_output/x11
     visualization/scope
     visualization/xosd

   file.c, http.c and udp.c are directly in the access/ directory.

   I'd also like to rename a few files. For instance in plugins/dvd
all the files are prefixed with dvd_, and I really don't think it's
worth having unnecessarily long filenames. Plus it makes it harder to
autocomplete when browsing with a shell. I have a renaming suggestion on
http://zoy.org/~sam/vlc/modules.txt

Regards,
--
Sam.