scrubbing and licensing questions

Peter Surda shurdeek at panorama.sth.ac.at
Wed Aug 28 18:09:54 CEST 2002

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 04:32:42PM +0200, stippi at yellowbites.com wrote:
> Hello,
Hi.

> My second question is about licensing. If I write any code, that I want
> to use later in one of my closed source projects, is this Ok as long as
> I am the only Author of the complete part of code in question? Also,
> what about code, that I use (and thus open source) in VLC, that
> originates from one of  my closed source projects. Am I still free to
> continue using my code in the closed source projects?
The short answer is yes, as the author of code you may choose to license it
under any conditions in parallel if you want. If you add some code to vlc, it
will have to become gpl, but still you are under no obligation to anything
related to your closed-source projects.

The practical problem however is that almost certainly someone will make
changes to your code once it is in vlc, and you may decide to make those
changes in your closed source projects as well. In that case depending on how
you implement the changes you may have to ask the author of the patches for
permission.

> Thanks a bunch and best regards,
> -Stephan
Bye,

Peter Surda (Shurdeek) <shurdeek at panorama.sth.ac.at>, ICQ 10236103, +436505122023

--
            Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
     teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.