Enabling MP3 support in vlc

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Wed Feb 6 09:54:19 CET 2002

Christophe Massiot wrote:

> À (At) 15:45 +0100 5/02/02, Jean-Paul Saman écrivait (wrote) :
>
>> Libmad itself does not. In the mad tar (found at
>> http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/mpeg/) there is a library called
>> libid3tag (see http://www.id3.org/) that does. A citaat from mad- site:
>>
>> "The software is distributed as a library (libmad) and command-line
>> front-end (madplay). Also included is a new ID3 tag manipulation
>> library (libid3tag)."
>

> This is quite interesting (too). I guess you want to write a demux
> plug-in, which would pass the tag to libid3tag and act thereafter just
> like the ES plug-in ?

A plugin that strips of the ID3 tags and offers it to a user interface,
so we can have scrolling lyrics ;-) Karoake mode. And other things about
the MP3 file.
And feed the ES to the mad plug-in. Could I do this with an input plugin?

>> So if I strip of this information in an input module (or somewhere else),
>> then selectES in input_programs.c should do nothing more then let it
>> pass?
>

> SelectES doesn't do anything except let it pass to an MPEG audio
> decoder. It doesn't care about the layer.

Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman

Software Architect

e-mail (work): saman at natlab.research.philips.com
phone  (work): 040 27 42909
Ordina TA,
Science Park Eindhoven 5602, Postbus 293, 5600 AG Eindhoven
e-mail : jean-paul.saman at ordina.nl
phone  : 040 2601200
fax    : 040 2601199