Enabling MP3 support in vlc

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Sun Jan 6 16:06:06 CET 2002

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002, Jean-Paul Saman wrote:

> Now libmad is supported by vlc I would like to enable MP3 support. From
> documentation I get that in src/input/input_program.c (function
> input_SelectES) should be extended to support the new file type. I
> suspect that vlc also has to be taught that a certain file is a MP3
> file. Which files are responsible for file format recogniztion?

   There is nothing such as file format recognition yet; you can emulate
this by looking at the file extension (see plugins/mpeg_system/input_ts.c
for instance). Eventually we'll have better handling of this, but there
are some issues about file pre-parsing which haven't been addressed yet.

   Alternatively, if you create a new input module, you can add the line
ADD_SHORTCUT("foo") to its module configuration declaration, and force
vlc to use it with the `--input foo' switch.

--
Sam.