Enabling MP3 support in vlc

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Mon Jan 7 01:23:49 CET 2002

À (At) 15:29 +0100 6/01/02, Jean-Paul Saman écrivait (wrote) :

>Now libmad is supported by vlc I would like to enable MP3 support. From
>documentation I get that in src/input/input_program.c (function
>input_SelectES) should be extended to support the new file type. I

Not exactly. input_SelectES only needs to know about new ES types (ES
== Elementary Stream), and there we don't need to do anything since
an MPEG-1 layer III stream is of type MPEG1_AUDIO_ES.

>suspect that vlc also has to be taught that a certain file is a MP3
>file. Which files are responsible for file format recogniztion?

There are two things in an .mp3 file : an mp3 header and an mp3
elementary stream. The mp3 elementary stream should go just fine.
What you need to do is to adapt plugins/mpeg_system/input_es.c to
read the mp3 header as well. We will probably need to talk about this
some more.

--
Christophe Massiot.