VLC project organization

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Mon Jul 8 23:14:59 CEST 2002

À (At) 3:12 +0200 8/07/2002, Henri Fallon écrivait (wrote) :

>I think you're pointing out a difficult problem. My view on this is
>that we lack disciplin : only few developpers update the changelog,
>even fewer the Todo list.

I second you on this.

>Having one person in charge of this seems to me unappropriate as this
>person would have to know what's going on, read every commit (what,
>everybody's not doing it already ? :-) ...
>
>The FAQ-maintener, or maybe FAQ-before-you-commit, is in my opinion a
>good idea if every developper reads it carefully and applies it.

A FAQ isn't a user documentation. A question can be declared a FAQ
only after it has been asked several times in the mailing-list
(literally). You can't decide, when you code, that a particular
question will be a FAQ.

Therefore someone must read the ml to detect the FAQ. And most
developers do not update the file when they detect a FAQ, because of
a lack of time, or because they do not think they're the appropriate
person for this.

Having one person in charge of pointing out the FAQ would be good.
She can then write the answer herself, or ask a developer to do it.

--
Christophe Massiot.