VLC does _not_ work with multicast

Alexis de Lattre alexis at via.ecp.fr
Tue Jul 16 23:33:36 CEST 2002

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> After hours, I've come to the conclusion that VLC doesn't work with multicast.
> I've tested playing from localhost, from other computers and - at last - from
> a Windows machine connected to a damn hub together with the server.
>
> If I do the same over Unicast, it works fine

Is the client installed on a Linux machine ? If so, are you sure that
"IP Multicast support" is compiled in your kernel ? It should work fine
with Windows 2000 or XP. Please, do not use vlc 0.5 for such tests, but
prefer vlc 0.4.2 (or even 0.4.1 which has been more tested especially
under Windows, cf my Bug report in this mailing-list)

--
Alexis