VLC and GCC 3.1

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Tue Jun 4 20:58:51 CEST 2002

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002, Xavier MAILLARD wrote:

> So my question is : will gcc 3.1 be the default compiler for future
> release or not ?

   No. We won't have a default compiler, ever: vlc is supposed to be
portable, sticking to a compiler isn't a good idea. Oh, and we won't
dream up compiler bugs but rather fix our code so that it works with all
compilers [end of explicit mplayer bashing].

> Performance setting all the optimizations options are about 2-4% better
> than with the old GCC 2.95.x

   This is good news. However, we can't decide we'll use gcc 3.1 only,
because there is C++ code in some vlc plugins, so all C++ libraries
would need to be compiled with gcc 3.1 as well, and you cannot expect
that from all distributions.

> Sorry to all of you people who are fed up with my posts but I am more
> and more implicating myself in the project even if I can't commit my
> changes into the CVS for now (it's annoying so I'd rather send the whole
> package when all would be done because I don't want to send multiple
> mails containing my work).

   Heh, I don't think you'll get CVS access without first showing some
code :-)

--
Sam.