VLC Win32 binary is infected with Troj/Momma-B virus

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Thu Jun 6 16:57:52 CEST 2002

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002, Sam Hart wrote:
> I've been a long time user of the Linux VLC, but I just downloaded the
> Win32 client to try it out on a machine here at my work, and I discovered
> tha the Win32 VLC binary installation package (current release:
> http://www.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/0.4.1/win32/vlc-0.4.1-win32.exe )
> is infected with the Troj/Momma-B Trojan type Win32 virus.

   I have a serious doubt about this claim. The installation package is
built under Linux using Wine, configured to not use any Windows DLL,
which draws the risk of infecting command.exe or anything.dll to almost
zero. Windows isn't even installed on the build box.

   To make sure I traced all system calls of a fresh installation
of vlc 0.4.1 and checked all file creation attempts and registry
entry insertions, and I found nothing like specified on sophos.com or
mcafee.com. Xav also checked with a Windows antivirus, and found nothing
either.

   Could you please double check that nothing could have possibly
altered the vlc binary you downloaded?

Regards,
--
Sam.