CVS Commit: vlc

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Wed May 1 17:13:23 CEST 2002

Laurent Aimar wrote:
> On Wed, May 01, 2002, Jean-Paul Saman wrote:
>
>>Can you try with and without --mpeg_adec=mad to be sure if it is mad
>>related?
>>

>  In fact, the audio was mpeg-1 layer3, so it's mad related because it 's
> the only plugin that can decode such stream. I've extracted the audio
> from the file, and i can play it without any problem with mpg321, xmms
>  But perhaps it's because of the quality of this audio stream : MPEG
> 1.0 layer III, 56 kbit/s, 24000 Hz joint-stereo

I am not taking this into account. Hmm ... must check mp321 source code
again. Can you send me that mpeg-1 file (audio and video)? So I can
investigate it further.

>  I've found such problem with other poor quality file.
>
>  Any idea ?

In the mad_libmad.c code there are two downscale algorithmes. One of
them is adaptive on dither errors and masks rough edge from the sound.
You could try to use this function instead of the default *faster*
downscaling.

In fact it is an algorithme borrowed from mpg321
//#define MPG321_ROUTINES     1
uncomment it and try again. Check the value of AOUT_BUFFER_DURATION it
may also influence your result.

Another hint is that I run Ximian Gnome, thus am using OSS sound drivers.

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman

Software Architect

e-mail (work): saman at natlab.research.philips.com
phone  (work): 040 27 42909
Ordina TA,
Science Park Eindhoven 5602, Postbus 293, 5600 AG Eindhoven
e-mail : jean-paul.saman at ordina.nl
phone  : 040 2601200
fax    : 040 2601199