.mp4 support

Kent Karlsson kent at popwire.com
Sun May 26 20:23:12 CEST 2002

>> Is there any plan to support .mp4 as input format?
>
>  I believe .mp4 is MPEG4. We already have a video decoder for a subset
> of it through the MPEG/MPEG2 and ffmpeg modules, and an audio decoder
> for a subset of it (mp3). What is lacking is a demuxer for the system
> layer. I was told the system layer was QuickTime, but I'm not sure. Do
> you know where one can find sample .mp4 files?

I think the best place for information on .mp4 is
http://sourceforge.net/project/mpeg4ip

They have a opensource implementation of a .mp4 fileparser. .mp4 differ a
lot from .mpg, but is very similar to the .mov format (A couple of atoms
differ). If you can make use of mpeg4ip's library for parsing .mp4 files, I
suggest you use it. I thought I would lose all my hair writing a good parser
for a system (Unfortunaly I cant give you that source, but my knowledge I
can share).

If you have any questions about the format, just ask =)

Oh, btw.. I think they have samplefiles as well, if they don¹t, I have lots.

The next step on the MPEG4 path would then be to implement the AAC and CELP
decoders.. =)

-- kent