wishlist

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Sun May 26 21:37:25 CEST 2002

On Sun, May 26, 2002, Karlis wrote:

> Anyway, here's the wishlist.  Some of it might be different than the goals
> of the project, I don't know.

   It may be, but commitment to our users is part of the deal :-)

> image overlay filter plugin:
> 	take some alpha-channel image (gif or png) and overlay it on the
> video output.  So we can place a little station logo at the bottom left of
> the screen.

   I believe this can be easily done, either through a video output
filter, or a subtitle decoder. There just needs to be someone willing to
do it.

> playlist file options:
> it would be nice to be able to save and load playlists, and call playlists
> from the command line.

   Multiple playlists and programmable playlist are planned and I hope
to have this feature in the next major release.

>   If anyone is particularly interested in working
> on the playlist, some sort of time-preemptable playlist would be very
> cool, like, "at 18:00 play xxx.mpg" in addition to the regular loop.

   You can already more or less emulate this using the rc interface
(it's still buggy though, but we're working on it):

     mkfifo /tmp/foo
     vlc -I rc < /tmp/foo

   Then, in a crontab:

     # play a file