[vlc-devel] Re: RFC: refurbishing the configuration manager

Stephan Assmus stippi at yellowbites.com
Tue Oct 8 16:36:06 CEST 2002

> >   I would like to change a few things in the way config variables
> > work. I'd especially like Gildas's opinion since he did most of the
> > hard work in there and maybe I missed a few obvious things.

8<

> My problem is, that many configuration variables which currently
> relate to the libvlc object, should in fact relate to a specific
> input
> file. I'm talking about configuring the audio channel, spu, program,
> chapters, titles, codecs to use. In the future we'll have even many
> more problems when the stream output is available, and a specific
> program must be sent to a specific stream output, and another to the
> screen, etc.

Maybe it is not related, but something I think that makes sense, is to
be able to save settings for a specific stream/file and remember them
next time the program plays back that stream. The volume level and
language are good examples. But also "bookmarks", specific positions in
a stream, come to mind. Another thing are interface specific features,
that might not exist for certain ports, but are still desirable to be
saved related to a certain stream. (Just in case I implement the before
mentioned bookmarks in the BeOS plugin, but nobody else thinks they are
useful, for example...)

Best regards,
-Stephan