[vlc-devel] Re: RFC: refurbishing the configuration manager

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Tue Oct 8 21:17:24 CEST 2002

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002, Christophe Massiot wrote:

> My problem is, that many configuration variables which currently
> relate to the libvlc object, should in fact relate to a specific input
> file. I'm talking about configuring the audio channel, spu, program,
> chapters, titles, codecs to use.

   This is a good point and I suspect it'll be very difficult to do
it right, but I have a few ideas that can make it easier, and hopefuly
other people will come with their own suggestions.

> In the future we'll have even many
> more problems when the stream output is available, and a specific
> program must be sent to a specific stream output, and another to the
> screen, etc.

   I think we can allow this by using tagged variables. For instance
the first playlist item could be called i1 (or whatever special char,
it's not really the point here), and the second item would be i2, and
we'd set "i1::sout" to tell vlc that first item should go to a stream
output, and "i2::vout" to tell vlc it should go to a video output.

   Just a guess, I don't think we can handle everything this way,
maybe we'll need some sort of simple scripting language. Selecting
a given program inside a tagged stream will probably be a nightmare :)

> Currenty, our policy has been to include all needed parameters in the
> URL line. For instance in the VCD input, vcd:/dev/cdrom at title,chapter.
> However, we'll have a lot of parameters added in the near future, and
> we can't patch all URL parsers to include new parameters.

   Agreed. Even now we have too many of them. dvd:/dev/dvd at 4,2 could be
split into something like "/dev/dvd --i1::title 4 --i1::chapter 2".

--
Sam.