[vlc-devel] Re: iPaq cross-compile problem (urgent)

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at wxs.nl
Tue Oct 15 23:55:28 CEST 2002

Jean-Paul Saman wrote:
> Christophe Massiot wrote:
>
>> Jean-Paul Saman <jpsaman at wxs.nl>:
>>

>>> I hope someone of you spot the problem in my logs. To build familiar
>>> Linux interface against GTK I had to redo my cross-compile environment.
>>> Now I successfully can built SDL (I tested it) and libmad, .... but no
>>> VLC (0.4.5).
>>>
>>> What happens? If I built with plugins enabled the linking of SDL against
>>> lpthread fails, the linker complains about /usr/lib/libpthread.so. So I
>>> wonder is it trying to link against my rootsystem libpthread or in the
>>> cross-compile directory.
>>

>> Apparently it uses /usr/lib/libpthread.so. Could you arm-linux-ldd
>> libsdl.so ?
>
> Not right now. This will have to wait untill after work and after kids
> have gone to bed.

There is no arm-linux-ldd in the cross-compile chain only a arm binary
ldd. I tried that on the iPaq with sdl and that gave me:

./ldd: /usr/local/arm/2.95.3/arm-linux/lib/ld-linux.so.2: No such file
or directory
ldd: /usr/local/arm/2.95.3/arm-linux/lib/ld-linux.so.2 $exited with
unknown exit code (127)

>> What is in $sdl_LDFLAGS ?
>>
> This is in there (if I remember correctly): -L/usr/lib
> -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib -lSDL -lpthread

SDL now uses:
sdl_LDFLAGS =  -L/usr/local/arm/2.95.3/arm-linux/usr/lib
-Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/arm/2.95.3/arm-linux/usr/lib -lSDL -lpthread

After dropping the use of --exec-prefix= from the configure.in and
configure script. Togther with changing SDL to link against X-libraries
form the current distribution it seems to fix this problem. It has built
and run allright now.

Next to fix compiling and linking of GLIB and GTK, before building vlc
with familiar gui,.

Greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman.