[vlc-devel] Re: help compiling win32 plugin

Olivier Teulière ipkiss at via.ecp.fr
Wed Oct 30 17:34:40 CET 2002

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002, Graeme Ogilvie wrote:
> I'm making some progress on this, but I'm now interested in how things
> need to be packaged up. VLC is running, but a lot of the modules are
> missing, and I suspect that this is because none of them are in the
> correct directories.

Basically, to build modules that depend on an external library such
as ffmpeg, mad, gtk, libdvbpsi, etc... you need to :

- cross-compile these libraries to have a '.a' file (but gtk, for
example, doesn't need this, since a development package already exists
for Windows), in order

- statically link vlc with these libraries. If you want ffmpeg for
example, you'll need to add the following to your configure line :
--enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-tree=PATH_TO_THE_COMPILED_LIBRARY

> I'm assuming (hoping) whoever makes the binary distributions for
> Windows should have script for this.

Well, the binary packages for Windows are cross-compiled under Linux,
which is much faster are easier to script (but the native Windows
interface becomes very difficult to build)...
See 'INSTALL.win32' file in the source to have more details on this.

Hope this helps,

--
Ipkiss