[vlc-devel] Re: about minisap Server

Benjamin PRACHT bigben at via.ecp.fr
Tue Apr 29 11:28:40 CEST 2003

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003, MaFai wrote :

> When I run sapserver and monitor  the udp message,I find the sapserver
> sending the message by  cas.mcast.net(224.2.127.254)(I type tcpdump in
> linux),This really confuse me.As we know,the IP address is hardcore in
> the  sapserver.cpp.When  and  where  the sapserver  translate  the  ip
> address to a domain name?Although it is not really important,I want to
> know the answer.

The address set  une the source code is the  standard address the should
always  be used  for SAP  announces. Since  it theorically  shouldn't be
changed, we didn't  care giving the option ti change  it easily yet. The
fact  it is  a  standard  address explains  why  your  system knows  the
assocaited name.  It is the same  for 224.0.0.1 (ALL-SYSTEMS.MCAST.NET),
224.0.0.5 (OSPF-ALL.MCAST.NET), etc...

> After I start  the sapserver,and run VLC 0.5.2  (compiled version with
> mad,css package). Set the channel server in the vlc interface: Channel
> Server:224.2.127.254  Port:9875(hardcore  in  sapserver.cpp).There  is
> nothing occurs.The playlist doesn't add any udp address.I try to press
> "go" and change channel.It doesn't work.

Well,  that's not  exactly  things are  supposed to  work.  Once SAP  is
enabled as an  extra interface (as you did later),  Annouced streams are
supposed to  appear automatically in  the palylist. Channel  servers are
not used for SAP, and are now more or less deprecated.

The address and  port the VLC is listening for  announces can be changed
in the SAP interface options. However,  as I said before, it shoudn't be
unless you've got reasons to do it since these values are defined in the
SAP standard.

--
$(echo "BigBen")

<< Pourquoi faire simple quand on peut faire compliqué ? >>
Oui, pourquoi ?