[vlc-devel] file vs. stream

j.zorko at att.net j.zorko at att.net
Wed Aug 13 08:19:59 CEST 2003

Hello, all ...

I'm looking for any clues as to the difference between VLC playing from a file vs. playing from a
stream.  The input thread is abstracted away from the access module via pf_seek() and pf_read(),
and from the demuxer via pf_demux(), but still ... VLC acts differently playing streams from a
file vs. streams from a network when a seek is performed on the content (via input_Seek()).  Can
anyone illuminate me as to what these differences are and where they are manifested in the
code?  I'm concerned primarily with MPEG2 video (VOBs) right now, so i've been looking in
modules/demux/mpeg/ps.c and system.c, but so far ReadPS / ParsePS / etc. seem to be called
whether the source is a file or a stream, so it doesn't appears that the problem is there.

So, anyone who is familiar with this stuff, any illumination would be appreciated.  Thanks in
advance!

Regards,

John

--