[vlc-devel] Re: Playlist & Streaming from VLC: BUG

Benjamin PRACHT bigben at via.ecp.fr
Fri Aug 22 22:10:49 CEST 2003

> Basically, any file opened from the playlist ignores the settings of
> the currently open video and instead uses the defaults from "Simple
> Open" to read the file.

Well, that's the  expected behaviour since we changed the  way we handle
options (per  playlist item  options). If  you want  to have  the stream
ouput options being considered as  general, take the command line option
generated at  the top of the  stream ouput settins box  (:sout....), and
launch vlc from  command line, adding this sout  options, remplacing ":"
per "--"

for instance, launch

vlc --sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=1000}:duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,url=239.255.12.12:1234}}

I think this can also be set in,t he general preferences..

Alternatively, adding the sout options (:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=1000}:duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,url=239.255.12.12:1234}}) in my example to every item in the playlist file might work (not sure it will be parsed correctly, bu you can give a try)

> Now I'm not sure if the  broadcasting settings have any provisions for
> changing resolution (a  sure problem with my  collection mixing Family
> Guy SVCDs with  Futurama VCDs) but if  it can be handled  then this is
> just incorrect playlist behavior.

I don't think the transcoding module would allow to change resolution... but I might be wrong about that.

> Now if  I'm horribly off  base tell me,  but I'm under  the impression
> that the  VLS server  doesn't do  all the  fancy re-encoding  that the
> client does, one of the key  reasons I'd rather stream from the client
> than setup the server. I'm interested  in broadcasting a wide range of
> diverse video types and have  them all re-encoded for broadcast (which
> the client can do) in high bitrate MP4 for super-low-resource decoding
> on the  client machine(s).  Now if  the server CAN  do this,  I'll try
> that, but  I'm operating under the  notion that the server  can really
> only stream MPEG data at this point in time.

You're right about that, the BLS cannot make any transcoding.

--
$(echo "BigBen")

Oui je quote, et alors ?