[vlc-devel] New DirectShow input

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Wed Aug 27 15:43:34 CEST 2003

Hi,

As you might have noticed, a new Windows DirectShow input has made its way into the cvs version of VLC. It is currently working quite well with my only test setup (webcam + souncard micro input) so I just uploaded a win32 binary so it can get some more testing.

(http://www.videolan.org/pub/testing/win32/vlc-0.6.3-cvs-20030827-win32.zip)

There is not yet any menu in the interface for this input but you can use it anyway by typing the right MRL in the open dialog box.
An example of MRL would be "dshow://vdev="Labtec Webcam":adev="SoundMax Input"" where the adev and vdev options are optional (default devices will be used if nothing is specified).
You can also find the names of your devices by carefully examining the VLC logs in the messages window. They will be listed here once you try to open a dshow input.

Of course there is still plenty of room for improvements... like trying to improve the CPU useage which is a bit high currently, support for a lot more settings (tuner setting, default video chroma, audio channels, etc...), add support for DV inputs, etc...

I'm not sure I'll spend the time to implement all of these features mainly because I don't have access to the necessary hardware so if you are interested in developing these, feel welcome.

Enjoy and report any problems (or success :)),

--
Gildas