[vlc-devel] Re: CVS Commit (rocky)

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Mon Dec 8 22:18:28 CET 2003

Sigmund Augdal writes:
 > Ok, but it whould perhaps be a good idea to commit such dummy stubs? This
 > way the code whould at least compile.

What is there doesn't *break* anything, does it? If folks are
interested in helping out or completing this, let me know and I'll add
a dummy stub. But I think it's so trivial that anyone who is
interested could do this themselves with little thought. Adding the
stubs I don't see as major an obstacle to helping or finishing, should
others be interested. Also, there are lots of open problems, some are
even related to this that don't require these stubs that I'd love to
get some suggestions if not help on fixing. And some of the problems
are probably directly applicable to improving the usability of this
plugin, were it finished.

 > Are the image data stored as pure bitmaps or as text or with some other
 > technique?

If I have this correct, RLE bitmaps - well not exactly bitmaps, but
palette number maps, slightly different than DVDs. A description is
given in the comment before ParseHeader or can be found from
http://subheader.sourceforge.net.

 > I think perhaps we need to implement some functions to overlay one image in
 > a chroma on another image in (perhaps) another chroma. This way we could
 > reduce redundant code (logo filter, freetype renderer, perhaps this decoder
 > and perhaps the spudec).

Yep, would be great. Any takers?

There seems to be no shortage of what needs to be done. But there is a
shortage of people working on that list. I gather for the MPEG
problems, I gather that the people wrote/worked on that support no
longer are all that active.