[vlc-devel] Re: BeOS interface CVS Commit

Eric Petit titer at videolan.org
Sat Feb 1 22:00:42 CET 2003

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003, Stephan Assmus wrote:
> modules/gui/beos/Interface.cpp
> modules/gui/beos/InterfaceWindow.h/.cpp
> modules/gui/beos/MediaControlView.cpp
> modules/gui/beos/MessagesWindow.cpp
>
> [many bug fixes]

Hey, thanks for stabilizing my mistakes ;)

> modules/gui/beos/InterfaceWindow.h/.cpp
> modules/gui/beos/VideoWindow.h/VideoOutput.cpp
>
>   - reverted saving of UI settings to BeOS way
>     reason: I had problems with the vlc way of saving them, plus the
>         BeOS way gives some advantages, like forward compatibility and
>         better error checking possibilities/default values
>         however, I did not remove the other code, maybe I make both
>         ways work right and selectable.

Arg, we'll probably never agree on that point :p

I see several reasons for not using the BMessage way:
 - having 2 configuration files seems ugly to me, and may be confusing
for the user;
 - vlc way of saving configuration has no important gap AFAIK, e.g.
it allows default values. I don't know what you mean about the "error
checking" the BeOS way provides;
 - vlc way is very easily usable, while the BeOS way requires some more
code.

Forward compatibility between 0.4 and 0.5 may be a problem (although I
think many users won't care), so here is what I suggest:
 - keep the necessary code for loading the old configuration file if
present;
 - trash the associated saving code (save_settings()) and, from now,
only use the vlc standard configuration file.

What do you think ?

> modules/gui/beos/ListViews.h/.cpp
> modules/gui/beos/PlayListWindow.h/.cpp
> modules/gui/beos/VlcWrapper.h/.cpp
>
> [many playlist enhancements]

'just played a bit with it, works great. Good job !

Regards,

--
Eric Petit <titer at videolan.org>