[vlc-devel] Re: vlc Mac OS X 0.5.0

Derk-Jan Hartman d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Tue Feb 4 23:45:54 CET 2003

On dinsdag, feb 4, 2003, at 18:14 Europe/Amsterdam, bayleyp at attbi.com
wrote:
> I've tried the new vlc. It's an improvement over the old one (some
> videos now work) however many wmv files do not work. They exhibit a
> problem common with divx movies which don't have the correct bitrate
> set by the container where the video is smushed around.

Would you be able to upload one of those movies perhaps?

> I also don't understand the interface. Why are the controls in a
> separate window? When I open multiple movies the interface becomes
> confusing (plus there's a bug where the window titles don't reflect
> the correct movie). Also vlc appears to assume that file paths are
> constant so I cannot move files while vlc is using them.

It's a choice of design. Having the controls in a separate window was
easier to implement at the time. We don't support having multiple files
open at the same time because in at the moment you can only play one
movie at a time. Multiple movies are added to the playlist.
We are aware of the bug with the window title.

The filepaths are constant indeed. In the feature we might fix this,
but it would require some hefty rewriting of several parts of the core
i think. I'm not sure if it is worth the effort.

> Finally I was wondering if anybody has considered developing a
> Mozilla-style plugin. This plugin could be multiplatform since IIRC
> the same API applies for all platforms Netscape/Mozilla runs on.

There already is a Mozilla plugin in the vlc project. It is still a tad
experimental though.

greetings, DJ
---
Universiteit Twente